Returning Home from College for Thanksgiving Break

It's that special time of year again--the holidays!❄

In fact, this year is particularly special because so many of us have been vaccinated and gotten our booster shots (but we can't completely let our guards down: See Where U.S. Covid Cases and Hospitalizations Are Surging). Also, it's the first time I've ever had to "travel" anywhere for Thanksgiving!

It's certainly been exciting being back at home after spending over three months at college. I'd always imagined myself going to a college closer to home so that I could visit easily, but honestly, I appreciate going to college somewhat far from home because it forces me to be independent and truly explore. After spending three months away from home and trying so many new things, I've definitely discovered a new sense of confidence.

Welcome home sign

An example of a "first" for me is that I flew by myself for the first time on Monday! It was a bit intimidating because of the high stakes of missing a flight, but it turned out to be far simpler than I had expected. There was a beautiful sunset as I was traveling to the airport, and I definitely got there earlier than necessary. I may or may not have had to spend a few hours sitting at the gate...but anyway, I'm thankful that the layover and the process of flying in general went smoothly.

Pretty sky at the airport

It was so exciting seeing my family again (my sister even returned home)! Entering the house, I was greeted immediately by a scavenger hunt that my brother had set up for me. It gave me a good reason to explore around the house again, and ultimately the prizes were a Rainbow Loom banana, a "Muffin Man" drawing, and a chocolate chunk granola bar. Totally worth it.

My scavenger hunt prize

Oddly enough, everything at home feels so new, yet it feels so normal. For example, I was finally able to drive again this morning to get brunch with a friend. I'm also back to eating my mom's meals, walking around my neighborhood, and sitting at my bedroom desk (writing this blog).

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving tomorrow as a time to celebrate family and good food. It's important to be aware of the violent and racist history of the holiday and to celebrate this holiday with a good intention--to give gratitude. 

The popular Thanksgiving menu is filled with delicious indigenous foods. I'm appreciative that my family has reason to try new recipes like turkey, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.

I hope that this weekend is a time of giving, gratitude, and good food for everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!🍂

Lily

Comments

Popular Posts